Thursday, February 26, 2009

21st Birthday



Leiny was 21 last weekend (thank you to everyone who wished her well after her accident, it was such a shock, I was so relieved to see her healing very well and so determined to make sure that spending quality time with family and friends was a priority). This post is the result of all that determination.

I spent two evenings making a birthday book for her, with lots of photos of her growing up, everyone who attended the party signed the book. Mr. Margie made a birthday trunk and we filled it with 21 presents including a sewing machine, Cath Kidston goodies, and links for the Love links bracelet Mel bought her as a birthday gift.




We set up an old army tent in the yard and prepared for the seventy family and friends who were going to celebrate with us. Red and silver were Leiny's chosen colours and cucumber and smoked salmon sandwiches (with the crusts cut off) were on the table as starters when the guests arrived. Everyone was invited to take a drink and browse Leiny's gallery of art.





Fresh flowers, candles and plenty of good will and help from friends and cousins (not forgetting the V slicer) preparing food (potatoe salad, coleslaw, pasta salads, watermelon and feta salad, chicken skewers, fresh prawns, cheddar cheese and lots of green salad), helped make the night a great success.



Leiny cut her cake of chocolate, fresh cream and strawberries.





By two o clock in the morning the 'party animals' had progressed to dancing the macarena and inventing new dance moves too



Soon after that the guitar came out




and before long a singsong was underway




At four am everyone was on the way to bed after a 12 hour marathon party fest.




Next morning we (the fantastic eleven) were all up at nine and had the tent emptied, removed and all the recycling, washing and sweeping finished, just in time for the post party party.

I am looking forward to catching up with all my blog freinds and replying to your lovely comments over the weekend.

27 comments:

Vee said...

Yes, this completely explains where you've been! Everything looked so festive and fun. I'm sure it was a fun party that Leiny will never forget!

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

WOW! A twelve hour party! You're my kind of party people! =)))) It sounds like everything went wonderfully well, and your daughter is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh Margie! This has to be the most wonderful 21st birthday party I've ever seen! Thank you so much for sharing it with us, I just loved all the photos and descriptions.

I'm so relieved to her Leiny is better and what a beautiful young woman she is! Congratulations and ♫Happy Birthday♫ to her.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend filled with love & blessings!♥

Les Cotrions said...

Hello my friend! I'm happy you post again!!! Happy birthday to your daughter! She is a beautyful girl! What a marvellous party! I'm happy you had a wonderful time!!!
Have a nice week end and take care!!!
Hugs
Vale

Veronica Tingvall said...

It sure sounds like a great party. everything lokks beautiful.
Lots of love /Veronica

Deborah said...

What a wonderful party! Happy birthday to Leiny--she's a lovely young woman.
()_()
(._.)

Anonymous said...

That was a nice party !!! Happy 21 to Leiny, She is beautiful !!! Any smoked salmon sandwiches left ? By any chance ? Joyeux Anniversaire !!! xo

♥ Fyra årstider said...

Thank you for lovely words on my blog.
Kram Lotta

Shabby Chick said...

Isn't your daughter gorgeous?! You must be so proud. Hope she had a fabulous time :)

mel xxx

LuLu Kellogg said...

Oh Margie...what fun! Leiny is a beautiful young lady and I am sure you and Mr. Margie are so proud of her. Glad you had a wonderful time.

Hugs,
LuLu~*xoxo

Annie Wicking said...

It all looks wonderful I'm so glad you had a wonderful time.

My very best wishes to you and your family.

Annie

Jacoline said...

Lovely, What a great party. happy Birthday!!!!!!
Well done it looks great!

Annie Wicking said...

Hi Margie,
Just to let you know my blog has a new address:
http://anniewickingsjourney.blogspot.com/

Rumour has it said...

Many congratulations for your daughter! Happy birthday to her! She has a very beautiful name; is it Irish?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything is going well for your family. Your party sounds like so much fun! It reminds me of the parties we used to have on my mother's side of the family. Everyone would be singing and dancing. It was great. I hope you have the most lovely day :>)

Anonymous said...

Your celebration looks like so much fun. So glad the birthday girl recovered from her accident and had a good time. I remember when my oldest turned 18 we gave him 18 gifts (some silly), each one having a special meaning for each year of his life. He was so touched (for a guy). Have a super great week Margie! xo Lynn

Unknown said...

Oh your daughter looks beautiful. Happy 21st birthday to her. I am so glad that she is better and looking so lovely too.
Karen

liset said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Beautiful daughter (glad see is oke!!) and it looks like a realy great party!

Splashes of Pink and Mint said...

Owww... this party looks great!!!! I love the idea of the birthday-trunk! I think I'm gonna make something like that (but smaller!) for my son's birthday! He will love it! Happy birthday for your daughter!!!!

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Good Morning, Margie! I wanted to let you know that you were chosen by the "random number generator" as the winner of my giveaway!!! Please send me an email with your address to stitchintyme9 @ aol and I will send your gift on its way to you! =) hugs!

vicki archer said...

What a wonderful party Margie - she must have had the best time ever. I am planning my daughters 21st in July and we are getting very excited about it too. xv

Stephanie - My Calico Heart said...

A belated 21st Birthday to Leiny! It looks and sounds like everyone had a fabulous time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Margie, Please stop by my blog when you have a moment. I left an award for you. Thanks!♥

Sugar Bear said...

What a fun party!
Karla

Unknown said...

Hi Margie,
I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I haven't seen a post from you in a bit and wanted to with you a fun St. Patty's Day over there.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Happy Saint-Patrick Day Margie :) I hope everything is all right :) xo

Deborah said...

Greetings from across the pond! Happy St. Patrick's day from Seamus and myself!