Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chickens and Jugs



Spring is about, yes spring, it may not feel like it from the weather we have had lately, but today I noticed bunches of snowdrops flowering by the gate, and literally hundreds of bulbs peeking up from the ground. The hens (as seen on the header photo) have been all too aware that since the 21st December there has been extra daylight each day. So in tune with nature they have been laying since christmas eve. Nice big brown eggs with bright orange yokes. The cock plays his part too. I am so proud of their achievements.







Our neighbours have a peacock and I found a feather near their gate on a recent walk.




I love jugs, I have been collecting them for years, there is something really nice about filling them up with milk, water, juice, wine, and placing them on the table during meal times. They have pride of place on one of the dressers in the kitchen.






Blue is my favourite colour and I seem to gravitate towards blue ceramics. It is the shape too that just gets me.
The collection looks good together but can also be used to put bunches of flowers in and they look so pretty around the house.

13 comments:

Les Cotrions said...

Hello my friend! Your chicken is lovely! And your jugs....I can imagine them with flowers around your home!
Have a nice week end and take care!
Baci
Vale

Deborah said...

I like hearing about the flowers, Margie. We're expecting temps in the low 30s for Saturday. That's a heat wave for us!

Vee said...

Very nice jug collection...I so much prefer beverages served from attractive containers than straight from the carton, too, but I don't have quite the collection that you have.

Spring? Oh you blessed gal, you. I'll have to visit and see all of your spring flowers while I wait for the snow to melt.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

What an inspirational springtime post, Margie! Your jug collection is wonderful! And as for your hens, how nice it is to have those fresh eggs! We are having a little tease of spring today - the temperature is actually above freezing! =)

Anonymous said...

I love hens and fresh eggs ! What a luck to have fresh eggs ! You have such a lovely jug collection ! i have a few, but not as much as you ! I'm waiting for spring, maybe because i caught a cold and nothing helps me to get better... so a little bit of sun, flowers, spring... it should help me :) Have a great day :)

Annie Wicking said...

I would love to have chickens too.

Great jugs you have...lol

Have a wonderful weekend, Margie.

Annie

Veronica Tingvall said...

I love chickens, I really wish I had some. You are so lucky:-)

Oh springtime.... I wish I had that to:-)
Lotsof love/ Veronica

Lace hearts said...

Thank you for your lovely comment today - yes, I certainly needed a big hug, and Mary Poppins was God sent today! I feel very lucky.
The bags are soooooo easy - it's a lovely pattern. Just itching to make more!
I love your jugs. What a good collection.

Unknown said...

I love those jugs. Oh, I hope Spring is on the way. Our ground is covered in snow, so I can't see the buds just yet. March maybe. Have a lovely week. Karen

LuLu Kellogg said...

Hi Sweet Margie!

I loved seeing all your jugs...blue is my favorite color too! These are just lovely!

I am glad you popped by for a visit today my dear. I wish you lived closer so we could have tea and biscuits!

Love,
LuLu~*

Anonymous said...

I too, as your chickens, have been very aware of the fact that the days starting getting longer by the minute after Dec. 21st. Now that it is the end of January we can really see a difference in the length of the day light hours. Yippeee!

♥ Fyra årstider said...

So lovely chicken you have..have a nice friday.
Hug Lotta

Deborah said...

Thank you for the greeting! I'll have to mark St. Brigid's Day on my calendar!