Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Makeover and relaxation


The garden is providing an abundance of vegetables at the moment, 


the dwarf French beans are ready now and the courgettes are marrow sized and the round ones look like pumpkins. 


Mr. Margie planted potatoes with Chris and Lir, they will be ready for Christmas dinner. The carrots look so funny, like they are cuddling, as one of my Instagram followers commented. 


I can't keep up with the harvest at the moment. The meals I have are full of fresh produce.


Last week my mum, Sheila, my two aunts, Rosie and Essie, and my friend, Sandra, and I, all went to the Heritage Golf and Spa Resort. We all needed a little rest and relaxation, and boy did we get it. We spent a few hours in the Spa, relaxing and resting, our skin felt like silk after and we were all so refreshed and chilled. 


We retired to the lounge for afternoon tea, a selection of mouth watering sandwiches of egg, smoked salmon and chicken wraps, accompanied goats cheese tartlets, tapenade swirls and deep fried prawns, along with mango and passion fruit mousse, double chocolate cake and macaroons, and to top it all off there were scones, cream and jam, too much for us to finish. 


We went home smiling from ear to ear and so chilled and relaxed, promising to return again in a few weeks. 


While I was having chemotherapy I lay in bed looking at the bedroom furniture. The wardrobe, which came from Belgium over 25 years ago as part of a set, gave me the most grief.  It had been accidentally sprayed with metal cleaner a couple of years ago, and looked desperate. I kept thinking "when all this is over I am going to paint that wardrobe". 


I spent a week washing, rinsing, painting and waxing not only the wardrobe, but the bed, bedside lockers and the chest of drawers also. 


What was and still is a mix of furniture 


styles has now been unified using Annie Sloane chalk paint. The best thing about doing a bedroom project is the opportunity to have a lie down when the energy levels drop!


Thanks to Kay and Catherine at "Before and After" paint stockist in Carlow who were so excited to see the finished results, and impressed with the scale of the work too. 


I had a positive meeting with my surgeon last Friday. He said I could try drinking and eating at the same time and begin to introduce some different food and drink. I tried my first tea in eight months, it went down well but I paid for it later. I will try again in a few days. 


I was so happy to complete the project and to celebrate I baked chocolate end cherry jam cupcakes and a pear and plum dutch cake, for afternoon tea on Sunday.  


Mr Margie and I were joined by out dear friends Sandra and Des, who brought me beautiful roses. 


We drank tea and watched the rain from Hurricane Bertha pour down outside. 

Big hugs, 
Love Margie ❤️

3 comments:

Mary p said...

love the bedroom now will def have to do mine

Edel said...

So nice. Go Annie Sloan!!!

Unknown said...

So nice to read you, Margie! Amazing carrots! I love the photo! Your wardrobe looks fantastic!! How beautiful! It needed to be painted, wonderful idea! Love Jojo Caramel ❤️